WelcomeDepressioncanbefun is an initiative of Helen McNallen who has suffered from Clinical and Bipolar Depression and wants to help others and spread the word. The site's name originated from the 'black comedy' of her experiences of manic depression and is certainly not meant to offend or belittle Depression. The site was launched officially on World Mental Health Day, 10th October 2008, at the invitation of the NHS at one of the many events hosted by them around the country.
- Helen McNallen
Whats New On depressioncanbefun.comUpcoming Events:
- ‘Heh Big Spenders! Shopaholics exposed’ tonight 10pm Channel 5
- It’s World Mental Health Week this week and World Mental Health Day 10th October
- Drug and Alcohol Misuse Conference, London, 10th December
- Carers’ Road Shows September in Nottinghamshire
- Creative Approaches to mental health - 1 day workshop July 14th Leeds
- Taboo Violent Voices 5 August Kent
- ‘Heh Big Spenders! Shopaholics exposed’…
- Channel 5 Documentary tonight 10pm - ‘Heh Big…
- It’s World Mental Health Week this week and World…
- Carers’ Road Shows September in Nottinghamshire
- Research opportunity and gift for you.
Your Questions to Our ExpertsAddicted to shopping
I am interested in receiving the same kind of treatment as Helen because I have an lifelong addiction to shopping that I can’t control. I am spending more than I… Read more Anhadonia
I have had anxiety and depression on and off for over 10 years. While the anxiety is under control along with the depression thanks to medication, Steraline. I am suffering… Read more letting my family down
hi, i have been suffering depression & anxiety for a year now, i feel so silly for feeling like this but nothing i do makes me feel better. i make… Read more Can you take over the counter diuretics with lithium?
Can you take over the counter diuretics with extended release modified lithium? It’s just that I am finding I have swollen hands (as my rings have all become tight) and… Read more
Your StoriesDepression and me
So, where do I begin? Lets go from the start. I was rushed into hospital with suspected meningitis in October 2011. They later found out that it was a severe… Read more Rediscovering my Passions through Depression
Legs dangling out the windowsill into the unforgiving cold of Beijings winter, I sat in a trance, wondering what happened to me. At 28, I was in the global management… Read more Back from the brink
Anybody who knows me thinks of a funny, outspoken loud mouth who loves a good laugh a drink and a party. I would be at the crux of the here… Read more It is possible to live with depression
I was a happy outgoing child, until age 10 when puberty struck. Prior to that first period, I thought I had a brain tumour - I was so depressed, so… Read more
- Even depressed people believe that life gets better
- Teenage self-harm linked to problems in later life
- Ketamine rapidly restores pleasure-seeking ahead of…
- Stress-related inflammation may increase risk for depression
- Researchers find why depression and ageing linked to…
- New UK report reveals £8 billion cost of mental health…
Your SuggestionsMy coping strategies 1) Put on your favourite album and just sing along to the lyrics. If you have as awful a singing voice as mine just sing under your breath. Concentrating on… Read more From my own experience Some personal lessons in dealing with depression, learnt over long years (see my story posted elsewhere). Shop around to get help; I was sent by GPs to various counsellors, some… Read more read To me it is very important read books. Specially about adventures Read more getting some exercise
Exercise is good for body & mind - but motivation is a major issue when you’re depressed.
One way to get a bit more exercise in your everyday life… Read more
Are you depressed?
We all feel fed up sometimes but these feelings usually last for a couple of days or weeks at the most. Perhaps you have been feeling like this for longer.
We have designed a test to give you some indication.
Igennus - Beating Depression
Watch Part 2 here >>
Shopaholic by Marisa Peer
Panic & Anxiety
Food Tips - Marisa Peer
Back To Work
Hormones and Depression
Post Natal Depression
Food for Thought
Spring physiology with a smile!
Look up and smile at the many beautiful colours around at the moment; Yellow daffodils, purple crocuses, white snow drops, blue bluebells. Let the colours of nature, children playing out, dogs…
...by Allison Kelsey
- Marisa Peer - Ultimate Confidence Ch9
- BBC Radio Sheffield Interview 23 Nov 2011
- Sally Canning - Introduction to Tapping
- Sally Canning - Tapping for Stress and Anxiety
- Sally Canning - Tapping For The Fear of Change
- Helen McNallen / Liz Green Interview 21 July 11
- Helen McNallen / Toby Foster Interview 5 July 11
- Helen McNallen BBC Radio Sheffield Interview with
- Wellbeing and Positive Thinking - Full Works
- Wellbeing and Nutrition - Full Works
- Stress and the Mind - Full Works
- Stress and Relaxation - Quick Fix
- Wellbeing and Relaxation - Full Works
- Stress and the Mind - Quick Fix
- Wellbeing and Sleep - Quick Fix
- Wellbeing and Sleep - Full Works